Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Jungle Book

It's been awhile since another citizen has been added to the Small World but that's because I have trouble figuring out exactly what I want to say about each person. I should just make the entries shorter and hope people enjoy posting comments more and more. I think stories are a great way to learn about someone's character. Anyway........

You know when people just have something special about them? Like they're almost magical and you wonder how they could actually be like that? Well this week's citizen is one of those people. See we're all made up of something like 98% water and a whole bunch of other chemicals and blah blah blah right? Well I swear this girl is made up of only rainbows, puppy dogs, hello kitty stationary and childrens' smiles (maybe candy too, I'm not sure). There's really only one person that could mean. Yep, the Sagers.

Sage rocks because she just exudes this love for everything around her! It's like being near her makes you feel better about things going on in your life, which is pretty amazing (those that know her know what I'm talking about!). Over the years I've lived in a dorm with Sage, lived across campus from Sage and then lived in the same house with Sage and a bunch of other people. Even after all that time spent with her, I wish I had made more time to kick it with her. She's one of those people that you would be down to travel long and far just to spend a few minutes with.

Sage is living in New York right now and when I come out there during the summer I hope all you other folks that are there get to meet her.

Since moving I've been thinking a lot about the people that mean a lot to me that I've done such a bad job of keeping in touch with and Sage is a great example. When we see each other it's like nothing has changed but it just reminds me that I need to be better about staying in touch with folks that are important to me.

I could write more about Blue Planet Marathons or Soupoffs or a whole lot more but I'm hoping some of you readers will offer some of your favorite Sage stories! Tell the (Small) World about her!

Here are a couple of my favorite throwback stories:

Sunshine Anderson:
Now it's no secret that over the years BA and I have wrecked some dance floors all over the place but when Ben wasn't around Sage and I basically served everyone around us. The song that still reminds me of freshman year and getting jiggy with all the people is Sunshine Anderson's "Heard it all Before." Sage, Bearman and I were also seen numerous times busting out with the "white boy wiggle" in a timely fashion.

151 and Coke:
Many, many 151 nights in college. Most ended with Rones falling asleep in his window seal but one tradition that I always looked forward to was walking over to wherever Sage and the other girls lived on the last day of school and throwing back rum and cokes all afternoon in the warm sun. I also remember an amazing meteor shower we all watched on the roof of Roth that was just plain ridiculous.

Sister Sister:
I guess sometimes I notice strange things that other people don't. One of my favorite things about Sage is the way she talks about her brother. Her face gets all excited and you can tell she absolutely adores him (and what's not to adore, he's dope). Totally reminds me of my sisters when she does that.

Sage is definitely one of those people that I wish all my homies could meet but alas that's the purpose of the Small World Project. So those that know her, spread the word about her on here!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There was this one time when I was feeling a bit down cuz Sage wasn't around. I was cleaning up my room or something, and out from behind the desk floats this colorful glob of trimmings.
There were purple feathers, one of those candy necklaces, and maybe some scrapbook scraps, all bound together (somehow) by a partially unstuck sheet of multicolored star stickers.
She may be made of rainbows and puppy dogs, but she's also tough as nails.
Once we were on a hiking trip and there were mules with us. Both of us caught the mule poo flu. Mine came at a convenient time, Sage's did not. It was the hardest hiking day of the trip and Sagers was very sick, but she made it up to our camp at 10,000 ft without complaining once.
Now that's what I call mettle!

archana said...

sweet, sage lives in NYC!

sage, what are your three favourite things to do in the city during the summer? if you listed more, i wouldn't protest :)

VonVonVon said...

sage = dopeshow. she's a besty for life. my favorite activity with sage would have to be attending any type of live music event in her company. she loves to bop to the beats and she is a solid mary poppins of any crew....always offering treats, goodies, agua or just being a champion buddy for a bathroom run. it's always better when sage is around. so much love for this gem of a lady!

Jay Zee said...

Sage's essence tugs at my heart strings. In general I'm not that emotive but most of the times I've gotten teary during the last two years have had something to do with her. I remember saying goodbye at Montaro Beach before she left to travel the world. I wanted her to grab my heart and carry it with her in her backpack, because my heart always feels good when she's around. Recently I was in New York staying at her place and she pulled out her guitar. Sage has this absolutely unreal voice. It's like melting butter and smooth beach glass. She was singing Alone by Heart. My cheeks were blushing because I was so happy. My insides were turning out because they were doing a jolly dance. Sage is radical because she listens without judging. You want to tell her things because she's good at laughing with you and it tugs at the heart strings. Vaman-- yes, the meteor shower on Roth's roof. I remember that because of all the bodies, all the blankets, and Sage's voice singing Fleetwood Mac and Sheryl Crow as we tried to keep our eyes open and watch the stars.