Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Not living large... he's the Biggest

First off, thanks to those that sent me emails or messages about their interest in the Small World Project! Please feel free to post stories, comments and questions about the Small World Citizen of the Week! That's what this "world" is all about. Bringing YOU ALL together.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now on to this week's citizen....
Do you have someone in your life that is hard to describe? You know that they're a special person but when people ask you what they're like, you can't find the right words? When people talk about athletes, we often talk about the intangibles that someone might bring to their game. They're not the flashiest player on the court but they bring something to the players around them that no one else could. So why don't we think about these same intangibles when we're talking about the people in our lives? This week's special human has impacted so many people around him and amazingly he probably doesn't even realize the importance he has played. The people around him are all better off today because of the positive influence he has had on them. This man is larger than life..... in fact he's the Biggest. I'm talking about Vijay. (I thought it would be funny to post a serious picture of him, since he's always smiling)

Now Big V and I go way back. When we were super young I didn't spend so much time with him because he was a few years older than me. When we has in middle school, I was in elementary school and when he was in high school, I was in middle school. For the longest time I had trouble connecting with this dude. My main interaction with him would be at family parties where him and other older kids would go outside and cause trouble. I had no idea what they did when they went outside until one night where they told me to join them. They were going to light a bunch of leaves and branches on fire in the street. I was super scared so I went to ask my mom if I could go. Like any other kid I said, "Mom, I can't go outside with them right?" Fast forward over a decade later and not only would I go anywhere with this dude but he is also one of the people I miss the most in the Bay. Big V brings so much to the people around him that I just think of him as the master of the intangibles.

Credits:
In the Small World, all people are interconnected. We were at a party at BA's place one night (the picture above is from the same night!) and Big V became obsessed with a blow up monkey at the house. He made it his mission for the night to steal the monkey. He snuck around the party with the monkey. He even tried to walk out of the front door with it I think. Anyway, everything seemed to fail. As we walked out of the party he began to laugh uncontrollably. Alas, in the bushes like 4 blocks away from the party, he had stashed the monkey! He was so proud and it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.
8th and Ocean: One night a bunch of us sat through basically every childhood variety show we had been in. We sat through ridiculous violin performances and dances where some of us had our pants up to our necks. Oh but Big Big, goodness. Dude was wearing Polo sweaters and creased khaki pants in every show. His hair was clean cut and he was straight pimping in his dockers.

Happy Birthday: I've always felt pretty fortunate that my birthday is January 1st because it's easy for people to remember. Over the last maybe five or six years, I have spent a few memorable New Years with this guy but it's the ones that I didn't spend with him that stand out. One year he was in Dallas and another year he was in Egypt. Other years he was who knows where but for every single one of those, he has been the first person to call me EVERY year. It's almost like I just wait for him to call and that makes my birthday real. Even when he was floating down the Nile River on a cruise, he called me a few seconds into the new year. How do you even do that math? Weirdo. It's remembering the small things that makes Biggest a really different person.
The Manager: Do you know that Vijay has time to workout, work on side projects, have hobbies, go out on the weekends and watch every TV show he wants? I am always baffled by Big V's ability to balance his time so well. Maybe he's a vampire?
The Chatter: About two years ago, in a hotel room in Chicago, we had the idea to create an online community for Konkani (the Indian cultural group we're both a part) youth around the world. For those that know me well, I am always yapping about this and that. No one really takes me seriously. Well, Big Big acted right away and setup a message board that now has over 500 members and over 15,000 posts. While others talk, he's getting things done.


I've had conversations with some of you about how people cannot truly be selfless. Well, if that's true this guy is probably the closest I've ever seen. I could go on and on about this guy. I could talk about how he's woken up and cleaned up for everyone after basically every party we've thrown or about how he loaned out his car to a friend in neeofd but I would rather have some of you share your stories, comments, or questions for the one they lovingly call Big V.

8 comments:

archana said...

i already spend a lot of my time telling Biggest how awesome i think he is... so i think if i elaborated any more, i'd REALLY weird him out :)

but i'ma do it annnyway! i have never met a better listener, or someone easier to talk to, than BigBig. i have told him things i have never told anyone else. and i have never ONCE felt judgment from him... that's big for someone who knows some of my craziest secrets.

i guess what makes Biggest sooo phenomenal is that he's not just amazing to the folks he grew up with... he's amazing to ppl he has just met as well. and that, to me, is what makes it SO easy to adore him!

i also think there is some hilarious story about paper towels and the bathroom in chicago a couple of years ago, but it escapes me right now... hopefully someone else will remember and post it! :)

smogcheck1 said...

There are several aspects of the Big Big that I admire. Some of them have already been covered (time management, selflessness), so I will comment on another.

Vlove already mentioned how the biggest manages his time like no other. One hobby that I share with the biggest would be consumer electronics- TVs, music players, speakers, etc. Now I consider myself pretty well read about the latest tech trends. But here's a typical convo between me and V (paraphrased):

Me: Hey man, you hear about that new Ipod speaker system? You should check it out.

Big: The thing is, I've had it for a year. It's on sale right now - here's the website you should go to.

And the Biggest will say this without an ounce of condescension. Not only does he manage his time to have hobbies, but he gets deep in the game- with no attitude about it. Just another thing that makes him so tight.

Chai said...

BIGV! Holler.

Man, V has many secrets from back in the day. He was one of my best friends since the days i can remember ever having one. i guess he was one of the reasons i bond much more easily to men than women. although he was a boy when we were originally kickin' it...but that is besides the point.

after craziness and years of not talking, he reached out to ME to get back in touch. that shook up my base of understanding compassion and konkaniness. we would spend countless nights chatting on instant messenger. after realizing the small world (close friend of mine from college was his senior prom date), our friendship rekindled. of course i wish our friendship would have maintained through out the years of silence, but that is something that we had little do with.

i consider him a brother (or "cousin" as i would say to my friends from elementary school who would ask about our relationship). he has such a kind heart, always giving, a great listener (or reader of IMs), the ability to remain positive, and continuously have fun. i heart V.

V, I have so much to learn from you.

Anonymous said...

Ok so even though I saw BigV around Konkventions, i only really hung out with him during my cali/vegas trip. I know it'll take many more hang outs until I truly get to know every aspect of the biggedy big, but what I do know from the short time spent is he is:

-extremely humble
-super SUPER smart
-makes me happy cause we are two peas in the webmaster pod(us nerds rule woohoo!!)
-supremely genuine and sweet!

I'm glad we got to hang out and I can't wait til we partake in more fun times in the future! YAY! =D

Unknown said...

I think life is generally filled with takers and contributors. I can probably think of no one who contributes more to their surrounding environment than Biggest.

Every experience I've ever had involving Big involves him giving in sone way, shape, or form.

We're all part of a small world. If yours doesn't include this guy yet, consider it time for you to make your world a little Bigger.

Vijay said...

Ya'll are awesome...:) make me smile, cry, laugh, and just feel damn good..lucky to have friends like all of you!!

ma said...

LOVE Biggest, his generosity, and kindness is unbounded. I am a better person today by knowing him. Thanks Big V!

Ranjit said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to post on this. I have known Big V for a long time (his sister and I are the same age as well, and we both went to UCLA together), but I never felt like I really got to know him as well as everyone else. So, I'll be honest: I'm jealous.

Because what I do know of him, I think he is awesome. A good "character" guy, someone you can depend on for anything, and someone who always seems to be concerned about making sure everyone else is happy. There are few people I know who I could say this about, and this is based on somewhat limited interactions I have had with him. Everyone else's testimonials only further prove what I had suspected about Big V. And even though I still feel more comfortable calling him "Vijay," because I wasn't around for all of the "Biggest" nickname phenomenon, I think we can agree that at least his heart is the Biggest.

I'm really glad I got back into the Bay Area (which I guess has now spread to Chicago and beyond) Konkani community, because it has enabled me to get back in touch with all of the people I grew up with and didn't get to know on the level I know now. And one of those reasons is Vijay.