Monday, February 19, 2007

One At a Time

As I get older, I feel like uniting the world is getting increasingly difficult. I consider myself a rather driven person (as are most of you) and I think our minds get ahead us sometimes. There's a proverb that says something to the affect of: "If you want to make change in the world, make change in front of your house." Well, I wanted to take that even closer to the individual. The idea here is that I want to "Unite My World." What is my world you ask? Well, it's my family, my friends, my interests, basically all the things that make up ME!

I'm glad you don't understand what I'm talking about. We all have special people in our lives. Well I am tired of them not knowing one another. I don't want disparate groups of friends. I don't want people not knowing my family. I want to "Unite My World." So what if you could introduce your college friends to your high school friends? What if you could Arch in Eastern Canada to Remi in Normandy, France? What if they became lifelong friends? What if they became life long business partners? Well I'm going for it. I may be a slow process but I'm trying to "Unite My World."

Here's what's been on my mind lately. I am fortunate enough to know some awesome folks. Many of them have some amazing interests and some of them have done some amazing things. We don't get the chance to talk about ourselves enough and many of you are super humble too.
But it's not just an opportunity to make people I know blush, it's a way to get them known. To tell the world what they're all about.

Think about it. Rones spends his time after work promoting his brother 1865 to the Bay and I know Tunde has already sparked a movement in the Bay so maybe Ao could promote Esface at his concerts and Tunde could advertise on his shirts. Speaking of shirts, Jay loves everything about Hip Hop culture and he might be down to design some shirts for Tunde. What about Swati? She's looking for a job soon and could design when she has time. Hegyi doing a Flaco's fundraiser soon for FaceAids. Maybe the Konkani Cooking club would want to help him? My sister has been going to El Salvador a lot for medical volunteer work. If more wack Indian doctors my age heard about that would they do the same? Arch has some awesome music taste. Damn, I wish her, Rones and Vik could all exchange music. And what about Fatty Dave. He is working so hard to get into med school and someday he wants to do lots of service overseas. What if I put the trip together and got all the doctors I know to join?

So The Small World Project was born. The vision here is to highlight one person in my life a week. I might write different things about different people, who knows. At worst, all my readers will learn at least a little bit about my loved ones. At best, people will email me wanting to contact the person that week and maybe ask them about something that interested them.

Hopefully this is just the start and I can think of someway to create a better website or maybe even readers can send me profiles of people they want to highlight. Imagine that!

Without further ado, I present to you....... The Small World Project.

3 comments:

archana said...

vlove! what an innovative way to use the blogosphere! this entry hooked me.... i'm excited to read about these people and the awesome things they're doing.

i heart the overachiever in you :)

chai said...

this sounds awesome. i'm excited to read about your friends, family, and hopefully YOU.

UGS said...

This is awesome man. I have always tried to get my different groups together, but was never able to get it to where I wanted. I think that this is a great way to make it happen. Good luck, and I look forward to reading about the different people in your life.